Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Letter 2/5/45

Hello readers!

It's been a few days and I apologize...sometimes life gets in the way!  Not that I'm complaining, just letting you know what's going on.

I was going to write a longer post today, but perhaps I'll save that until tomorrow evening instead.  Sadly this blog will always take a back seat to work, family, life in general.  Sadly no one pays me to research all this, so until they do I'm at the mercy of my real job.  If you pay me I will complete it. :-)

So here's the next letter in the series from my grandpa.  We're getting to an interesting point in the letters, but I don't want to ruin it for you, so I don't want to say too much and give it away.  Let's just say I've seen a side of my grandpa in these letters I've never seen before.  And I can't wait to show you.

Have a great rest of the week.  Let's chat again tomorrow!

E



Mr. A. Kumasaka
287 Main St.
Keansburg, N.J.
U.S.A.

#32609377
T/5 A. Kumasaka
Hq Btry 863 FA Bn
APO 410 c/o P.M.
N.Y.
5 Feb 45

Dear Folks,

     It is now 2 in the morning and I think I'll retire after I finish this letter to you.  I am also sending a few post cards of Marseilles to some of my friends tonight.  The one you'll get of Canebiere St is a good picture of the Main St.  I thought the trolley cars are funny to see, because people will pack into them tighter than a N.Y. subway car; in fact, they hang on the sides of the cars.  A lot of the buildings are damaged by shellfire, but the stores still con-tinue to operate, that is, all except the food stores (Epiceries) because food is scarce.  In the France I've traveled through so far, almost every ^person^ I've seen has a loaf or two of bread under his arm.  They'll sell it to you for 50 francs ($1.00) a loaf.
     You know, that in the time I've been over here, I haven't seen a German plane, or saw a German soldier with the exception of P.W's.  It's a quiet war, isn't it?
     I've told you in my last letter, but in case this one gets to you before it, I'll write it again: I'm somewhere in the Alsace Lorraine sector, attached to the 7th Army.  That's all for now, folks.

Love,
Archie

No comments:

Post a Comment