Thursday, September 19, 2013

Letter 1/24/45

Today's letter was translated during my lunch break.  I love having an hour in the middle of the day to geek out on history in my cubicle.  Of course, I'd like it better if I didn't have to work at all, but sadly that lucky Powerball ticket doesn't seem to be in my hands yet.

I'm researching a lot more of my grandfather's military career outside of these letters, and I must say it's quite interesting.  I'm trying to compile it all into a few additional posts throughout this project, but I'm only using reputable sources, so it's taking longer than usual.  Darn you, Wikipedia! :-)

Anyway, here's the next letter I transcribed.  There's a section towards the end of the letter that is illegible, because my grandfather wrote into the blackened part at the bottom of the paper.  I've had several people take a look at the physical original, and no matter how much we stare at it there's no telling what was originally written there.  Again, another moment lost to history.

Take care, tomorrow's Friday!! :-)

E

Mr. A. Kumasaka
287 Main St.
Keansburg
New Jersey, U.S.A.

T-5 Archie Kumasaka
ASN 32609377
Hq Btry 863 FA Bn
APO 410 c/o PM N.Y. N.Y.

24 Jan 44

Dear Folks,

     Have a few spare minutes tonight, so I thought I'd write you a few lines.  I imagine that my first letters from overseas are reaching you by this time, so you should know by this date that I arrived safely.  I haven't received any letters from you yet, but I'll be watching the next few mail calls in antici-pation of a petter.  I'm writting all my letters on V-blanks because they are faster in travel.
     I had a pass last night and went to visit the largest city in this area.  It was there that I took a shower--my first in days; it cost 02 7m and was well worth it.  There are no restaurants open in the city, because food is too scarce.  Wine, beer, and cognac are available to quench the GI's thirst, but these are weak compared to U.S. standards.  The city on a whole, looks drab and dull, as any place should that has seen war.  I have bought a few post cards which I shall try to send later.
     What is the weather like in Keansburg?  It has been comparatively mild here the past few days, and with the milder weather comes plenty of that gooey "mud".
     So long for now. _________________________ Archie

No comments:

Post a Comment