Monday, September 16, 2013

Letter 1/16/45

Hey folks,

Skipped a day, hope you don't mind, the Renaissance Fair was calling me.  Knights, jousting, ladies in waiting, it's all I dream of! :-)

Hope you had a great weekend!! :-)  Here's the second letter I transcribed. Enjoy.

Until next time,

E



Mr. A. Kumasaka
287 MAIN ST
KEANSBURG, N.J.
U.S.A.

T-5 A. Kumasaka
ASN 32609377
Hq Btry 863FABn
APO 410 c/o PM N.Y. N.Y.

Jan. 16, 1945

Dear Folks,

I have completed my sea journey and am now “somewhere in France”. The trip across proved un-eventful, after I did not even once suffer the loss of appetite and subsequent sickness. Some of the others were not quite as fortunate as I, however.
From the little I have seen of France so far, I am not much impressed by the scenery, people. The towns are similar to the French Quarter in New Orleans – narrow streets, style of houses, etc. The landscape is picturesque, but I wouldn’t trade it for any of the scenery back home. And as the people don’t speak my language, and I theirs, I don’t think I’d get along to well around here.
I find the weather to be pretty cold where I am, and as we are living in pup tents it is pretty rough, but we are well dressed.
This is all I have to tell about at present. I shall write more soon.
I hope you’re all well. I am feeling fine.
Love,
Archie

No comments:

Post a Comment