Saturday, September 14, 2013

Letter 1/11/45

Hey all,

I've transcribed the first V-Mail my grandpa sent home.  I can't format it in blogger to look like it does in real life, however, in the middle there is obviously a page break. This letter to his family took up two sheets of V-Mail.




Mr. A. Kumasaka T15 A. Kumasaka
287 MAIN ST. ASN 32609377
KEANSBURG, N.J. Hq Btry 863FABM
U.S.A. APO 410 c/o PM N.Y. N.Y.

Hello Folks: Jan 11, 1945

I’m somewhere on the high seas today as I write this letter. I am enjoying the best of health, and the food we get is excellent. Some of the boys were quite sick for awhile when the water was a little rough, but now most everyone has recovered. The trip hasnt bothered me that way yet, and the only reason I miss a meal now and then is when I’m somewhere else, such as church service, PX line (cigarette & candy), or the ice cream & cookie line.
My bunk is below decks, and the quarters are rather cramped, so I try to spend the day on deck, reading, napping, or playing cards. Lights go out on the ship about 4:30 every afternoon and after that time we must grope around as best we can under dim red lights. Usually about 5 every night, a buddy with an accordion comes into the compartment and plays for about an hour. We get a lot of enjoyment from his play and
(continued)
Page 2 Jan 11, 1945
we usually request numbers which we know the words to.
Also, of course, we can go on deck and listen to the radio programs which are sent out over the Public Address System. Last night, I heard a rebroadcast of a Bob Hope program, and got a few belly laughs from it.
Although drinking water can be obtained at all times, fresh water for washing, shaving, etc is rationed. We have its use between 7 30AM & 8:30AM and 5:30 & 6:30PM. The situation is such, however, that the latrine is closed about 8 in the morning in order to be cleaned for inspection, and as lights are out at 430 we have only the red light to wash and shave under at night. The latrine has salt water showers – I took one the other day and can’t say too much for them.
I won’t try to cram all my experiences of the trip into this one letter, so I’ll close now. Hope all of you are well.

Love,
Archie


Will write more tomorrow. Until then,
E

No comments:

Post a Comment