Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Letter 1/22/45

Hey all,

Another day, another chance to transcribe one of these letters.  I hope you guys are taking a look at my grandfather's atrocious handwriting...considering this is a smaller image of what he originally wrote, sometimes it's darn near impossible to read.  I love my grandpa, but I wish he had paid more attention in penmanship class when he way younger.

Here's the third letter he sent to his family in 1945.  Enjoy!




====================================================
Mr. A. Kumasaka
287 Main St
Keansburg, N. Jersey
U.S.A.

T/5 Archie Kumasaka
ASN 32609377
Hq Btry 863FABn
APO c/o PM N.Y. N.Y.

22 Jan 45

Dear Folks,

Another day has just about ended for me, although it is 6 hours earlier where you are, — a day spent in a country strange to us and our manner of living.
I saw how some of these people lived when I went on pass to a nearby city yesterday afternoon. The streets of the city are narrow, and automobiles burning charcoal can be seen riding about. The kids roaming the streets will approach the GI with an extended hand and the single expression “Gum”. Of course, we don’t carry our pockets full (rationed to 2 pkgs per week) so most refuse most requests.
The city runs a dance Sunday afternoon and evening, and I judge that people for miles around assemble to talk affairs, because the place was packed. A few GI’s were there, and some were dancing; I tried it but found it difficult to lead in my style of dancing.
My French is improving each day. I might be able to understand them better if they would speak ^more^ slowly.
I just have enough space to say so long for now. Hope you is all well.

Love,
Archie

No comments:

Post a Comment