Saturday, November 16, 2013

Letter 2/18/45

Guess what yesterday was...go on, guess!  And no, it wasn't Hump Day (that Geico commercial needs to go away).

IT WAS MY GRANDFATHER'S BIRTHDAY!


I wish I had the chance to post on his actual birthday, but I was on my way across the state in my car, and it's a little hard to blog when you're behind the wheel of a moving vehicle.  So please accept my deepest apologizes for this post coming a day late.

Anyway, my grandpa is 91 years young now, I can't believe that.  Sometimes your grandparents and parents seem immortal, because they've been a part of your life since the beginning.  At 91, though, I know I should be thankful for each day my grandfather has, and on his birthday I really am appreciative that he's still around for me to have a relationship with.

I thought I'd share the next letter with you, since it's a Saturday and we all need something to celebrate on the weekend.  Enjoy, and I'll be back to update soon!


Mr. A. Kumasaka
287 Main St.
Keansburg N.J.
U.S.A.

T/5 A. Kumasaka
ASN 32609377
Hq Btry 863 FA Bn
APO 410 c/o P.M.
N.Y. N.Y. 18 Feb

Hello Folks,

     I received your V mail letters of Feb 8 & 9 today.  9 days is fast service, isn't it?  I've also received 2 air mail letters written before those dates, and 2 V letters from Vi.  So that about brings you up to date with me, doesn't it?  I hope my mail has been reaching home promptly too.
     I went to church this morning.  No, it wasn't like the services back home, but I still got a lot out of it, about 5 guys from the wire section and I were the only ones to attend the service, which was held on the second floor of a nearby building.  The windows had been previously blown out, but it was warm outside, and we were comfortable.  When we first entered the room, the air was filled with smoke, which came from a low stove pipe downstairs.  The chaplain took care of it, though, and soon had the room cleared.  We had a small portable organ to accompany us, and the alter he set up provided the proper atmosphere.  By the way, I received the Lenten book Vi sent me and am reading it daily.
     I've taken some pictures with the camera, and if I can get them printed and censored I'll send them to you.  Nothing else to report at this time.  Hope every-thing is all right at home.

Love,
Archie

No comments:

Post a Comment