Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Letter 2/10/45

Today's letter is a special one, and a bit rare from the stack of letters I received from my grandfather when he was cleaning out his storage unit.  Since his mother saved the letters he mailed home during the war, 90% of the ones that have survived until 2013 are letters he wrote to my great-grandparents.  From his writings we know he wrote regularly to his grandparents, his two sisters, and his friends, but most, I presume, have been destroyed over time.  It's rare that one sneaks through that isn't addressed to Mr. A. Kumasaka.

Today's letter is addressed to my grandfather's sister, my great-aunt, who at the time was still living at home with her parents, which I believe is why the letter has survived.  Living in the same house as her parents, it's only natural for my great-grandmother to bundle it in with the rest of the letters once they were done reading it.  It brings out a different side to my grandfather, though, showing him as a brother instead of a son.

Anyway, enjoy!


Miss Viola Kumasaka
287 Main St.
Keansburg, N.J.
U.S.A.

#32609377
T/5 A. Kumasaka
Hq Btry 863 FA Bn
APO 410 c/o P.M.
N.Y. N.Y.
10 Feb 45

Hello Vi,

     Received your letters of Jan 20 and Jan 25 yesterday.  It was good to get your letters because they are the first I've received from you folks, and I was anxious to learn if you had received any of my mail.  I'm glad, now, that I sent the cablegram, because I see that it was my first message to reach you.  Since then, you should have received my Vmail letters, which I try to write every other day.  I note that you have.
     I saw the picture "Our Hearts Were Young and Gay" twice, once in New York and once in camp, and thought it was very good.  "Casanna Brown" was at my summer camp, I think, and I liked it too.
     No I haven't heard or received anything on the Time magazine subscription yet.  There's nothing that I need badly right now.  We get rations of 1 pkg cigarettes, 1 stick of gum, one candy bar per day, plus soap, blade, tooth powder every week or so.  My laundry is done by the lady in the house which we sleep; she does it for a bar of GI soap -- doesn't want money.  The food is good -- 3 hot meals a day.  In short, the situation is ideal, and I couldn't ask for better, considering the circumstances.
     That's all for now, Sis.  Will write more soon.

Love, Archie

No comments:

Post a Comment